Looking to get your family into the spirit of Thanksgiving? This is a simple yet adorable Thanksgiving craft we do for kids we do every November. I used to just trace the girls hands and let them color in the turkey on Thanksgiving, but last year we upgraded to canvases so we can send them to their grandparents.
All you need is some paint, a black Sharpie, and a couple of canvases. (I pick mine up at Michael’s, but you can order them here!)
Then let your kids paint the palm of their hands and thumb brown. (Patience is important here!)
Then paint their fingers your “feather” colors, anything you choose! We went with red, orange, and yellow.
And make your handprint!
Don’t worry if it’s not perfect, (coming from a recovering perfectionist) I think the double pinky print makes a lovely tail. Then fill in the rest as you like! We added a beak, a wattle (the red thing under a turkey’s beak), some legs, and a hat with the Sharpie.
And then she had to sign her name of course! Gives it a more personal touch don’t ya think?!
I also have the girls make a duplicate turkey handprint on paper for me, and we frame them for the month of November. Later we file them away so each year we can compare how much they’ve grown. Hope you try it!
25 thanksgiving crafts for kids!
Need more Thanksgiving craft inspiration?! Get everyone in the giving spirit by making these 25 Thanksgiving crafts for kids. From a Gratitude Journal, Thankful Tree, and even Fall Leaf Note Cards, whichever craft you choose to make, these moments of creation and appreciation will create memories that everyone involved will hold close to their hearts.
- Turkey Hand Print Craft: Use your kids’ hand prints to make the feathers on this turkey craft.
- Thanksgiving Crafts for the Kids’ Table: Keep those little hands busy on Thanksgiving day by letting them color and make their own table setting.
- No Sew Thanksgiving Headdress: Not only are these headdresses adorable upon the heads of your kids, they are also cute to place on your pumpkins.
- Construction Paper Turkeys: These are adorably easy and so fun!
- DIY Gourd Fall Craft: I love the fall colors of this Thanksgiving craft.
- Thanksgiving Window Clings: Sliding glass doors and windows are a great platform to let the kids decorate.
- Mini Gratitude Journal for Kids: Let the kids decorate their own journal where they can reflect on what they are thankful for this year.
- Edible Pumpkin Play Dough: This Thanksgiving craft for kids is good for those young toddlers and babies that have not quite learned to keep everything out of their mouths.
- DIY Cut-Out Fall Leaf Coasters: These adorable coasters are made with origami paper.
- Glitter CD Turkey: Bring some bling to the Thanksgiving table by decking out a turkey in glitter.
- Fall Tree Cork Painting: Using corks as a craft medium is a great idea for a Thanksgiving craft.
- Owl Pinecone Craft: It all starts with a simple pinecone.
- Sun Catcher Fall Leaf Turkey Craft: Incorporate nature with your crafts by using the beautiful leaves of fall.
- Bird Seed Acorn Cakes: Make this craft with your kids and the birds in your backyard will be chirping thanks for the treat you made for them.
- Corn Painting: Ditch the paint brushes and pick up some corn on the cob. This would make an adorable table runner for your Thanksgiving meal.
- Mosaic Paper Acorn: This craft can easily become a keepsake.
- Stained Glass Leaves: Another great way to bring nature indoors during this beatiful time of year.
- Thrifty Turkey Wreath: Here is an easy wreath craft the kiddos can create for your front door.
- Frosty Fall Pumpkin: A great way to dress up a pumpkin.
- Pilgrim Turkeys: These turkeys are adorable!
- DIY Thankful Tree: This Thanksgiving craft is not only great for the kids, but it is perfect for the entire family. A wonderful way to count your blessings at Thanksgiving.
- Paper Plate Owl: Whoooooo wants to try this craft to create some Thanksgiving decor?
- Wooden Stick Scarecrow: Love this idea! Great way to use popsicle sticks.
- Tissue Paper Lantern: Bring the colors of autumn indoors with this craft.
- Fall Leaf Note Cards: Have your kids make their own note cards so they can spread their thanks this Thanksgiving.
And since I’ve been crafting, here’s a Thanksgiving Play Dough Recipe from moi!
And kids love these Turkey Cupcakes!
Which of these 25 Thanksgiving crafts for kids are on your list for the holiday? We can’t wait to see what you come up with! Please share your creations with us in the comments or post them to my Facebook page. Happy Thanksgiving!