Life with kids is so unpredictable. As soon as you get into a groove, things always change. And nothing blindsides you more than the tween stage. One minute you have a sweet, cooperative, loving, compassionate child, and then BAM! In comes the hormone surges and the eye-rolling tude’ and door slamming tempers.
The first time it happens you are left stunned. You look right, then left…and a little behind you. “Did that just happen?”, you think as you gesture to the closed door. “Is there a hidden camera in my house?” “Who is that child and what happened to my adorable (INSERT CHILD’S NAME)???!”, your insides scream, and then the panic sets in.
You are not alone parents, it happens to all of us, and in the blink of an eye. One minute you are celebrating birthday number nine, and then it’s time to buy deodorant.
Not sure if you are in the tween phase yet? No worries, here are 10 signs you are living with a tween.
10 SIGNS YOU ARE LIVING WITH A TWEEN
- They Go From Crying to Laughing in Less Than 10 Seconds – Yes the anger can be real and the yelling can make your ears bleed, but the laughter is still music to your ears. And they can change moods on a dime. If your tween’s brooding frown turns into a smile quickly with some diffused humor, you are winning at parenting.
- You Instantly Become Uncool – Nothing is worse when you are a tween than a parent hanging around. You used to be the stars and their moon, now you are just a chauffeur and snack manager.
- You Know How To Take the Door Off The Hinges Like a Ninja – When the door slamming starts you have two options, threaten them, or take the door off the hinges. Trust me, do not pass go, just take the door. It works.
- They Believe an iPhone X is a Birthright – What is it with tweens and phones? “But mom, my cousin has one! And Greg and his little sister. And Instagram too.’’ Tweens are notoriously obsessed with phones, emojis, and texting. Good luck holding them off.
- Their Response to Everything is an Eye Roll – Find yourself looking at the ceiling a lot? Yeah, you have a tween. And the funny thing is they don’t even know they are doing it, it’s like a weird gene they inherit right along with their new tween attitude. Ignore and repeat and be careful, it’s contagious.
- They Stop Holding Your Hand – Tweens do not need to hold your hand when crossing the street anymore nor do they want to be seen touching you in public. Beware, get those cuddles in at home and cherish them.
- They Wear Bigger Shoes Than We Do – Tweens are notorious for growing at atmospheric rates. Don’t be alarmed when your shoes go missing, they now have monstrous feet to go along with their man hands that you aren’t allowed to hold anymore.
- You Go From Knowing Everything to Being a Complete Moron – Remember when your kids used to look to you for answers? “That’s a tree, that’s the sky. This is a circle!” Now they have Google and are constantly telling you how wrong you are. This is just a part of the tween ego and will go away once they are adults and living on their own. Or until you force them to do their own laundry. Your choice.
- You Find Their Clothes in Your Closet – You may freak out when your husband accidentally hangs your tween’s dress in your closet and thinks it’s your shirt. This will happen and just remember to breathe. Also, breathe even more and buy tissues when you have to replace the kid’s sized hangars with adult size.
- What Kid’s Meal? – When your child eats six pancakes, three slices of bacon, fruit salad, and two glasses of juice for breakfast you know you’ve hit the tween stage. There is no more kid’s meals or “Kids EAT FREE” nights anymore, welcome to bankruptcy.
No having a tween isn’t easy. It’s a battlefield of emotions and you never know which personality you’ll be faced with each day. But underneath their newly built tough exterior is the same heart, so don’t forget to love them through it all. Hugs are always a great cure.
Or 10 SIGNS YOU ARE LIVING WITH A THREENAGER.